Tuesday, December 30, 2014

So...you're focused on the in class time?


In this post, I offer a quick look into the "In Class Time" for my flipped classroom. Understanding the in-class time, starts with understanding the homework for the previous night:

Monday's Homework Example: 
 EdPuzzle Comparing Fractions Video  
        OR  Daily Math Week 5 - Day 1


Students who have a device and internet access watch the video for homework.
Students who do not have access that night to a device and/or internet complete daily math review problems.

During the evening, it's not surprising for me to get several emails about the homework from students. I love this emails and cherish the opportunity to communicate with the students via email about homework.

In the morning, I'll look at the analytics available on EdPuzzle and at a glance it's VERY easy for me to see how many students will have to watch the video in class and MORE IMPORTANTLY who struggled and needs help. 

I am lucky to have a 90 minute block of time for math each day. Here's how I typically split up my math class although the 60 minute section isn't always stations:

10 min - Warm Up
10 min - Whole Class Review
60 min - Flexible Time
Three 20 minute stations (Independent, Partner, Teacher groups) 
Projects, etc.
10 min - Recap lesson and introduce that night's video


10 minute Warm Up
The first ten minutes of my class is called “Warm Up.” Students who didn’t watch the video the night before will get on a computer or use a device. Students who did watch the video will work on the Daily Math review problems. (Therefore, during the ten minutes of homework and during the first ten minutes of class all students will have watched the video and completed the independent review work.)

Just as an aside: I teach two groups of 26 students. In each class I typically have seven students or less who do not watch the video (mainly because they don't have access at home.) I have access to the following in my classroom: two desktop computers (district provided), one iPad (donated), one galaxy tab (donated), one iPad 2 (personal), one Chromebook (personal) and one MacBook (personal). If I have more than 7 students I send them to another teacher’s classroom. Hopefully soon I will have access to three more Chromebooks I received through a grant. I have one student who will come in the classroom early in the morning to watch the video instead of standing outside before school and I have two students whose parents pick them up ten minutes after school has been dismissed. The reason I explained all of this is because you have to figure out a way to make it work. These are just some ideas you can offer to students who might not have access at home.


During the ten minute warm up I ‘conference’ very quickly with each student who watched the video the previous night. They show me the notes that they took from the video and we go over any questions that they missed. (I walk around with the EdPuzzle log pulled up on my phone and I can easily see how many questions each student missed. Many times the students will say things like “I know where I went wrong, I get it now.” Or some students may ask questions about why his/her answer wasn't correct. It’s a great way to start conversations with the students.) ALL the students know that their quiz scores are used as formative assessment and that I want them to do their best. However, most importantly, they know I want them to learn from their mistakes.

10 minute Whole Class Review 
After all the students finish the video (approximately 10 minutes or less), we will then discuss the video as a group. We have a brief chuckle about the joke and then get into the ‘goal’ of the video. Students have the opportunity to ask questions about the video and we usually go over a few problems (especially the problems that received the lowest percentage of correct responses.)


60 Minute Flexible Period
After the video I’ve done many different things depending on the lesson. Many times I set up three stations and I can split the students into groups based on how they performed. Typically the three groups are a teacher group, partner group and independent group. Other times the students might work on a larger project while I pull smaller groups during this time. This is a very flexible time for me and I use this time differently depending on the lesson. However, this is the MOST important part of flipping in my opinion. You will be surprised how much extra time you have in class now so be sure to use it wisely!

10 Minute Recap and Intro
I usually use this time to let the student recap what they've learned during today's stations and ask questions. I also briefly introduce the video for that night's homework. I make sure students know what supplies they need as well. The students copy down their homework and the whole process starts over again.

Tuesday's Homework Example: 
 EdPuzzle Ordering Fractions Video  
        OR  Daily Math Week 5 - Day 2

Like I've said in previous post: MAKE YOUR FLIPPED CLASSROOM WORK FOR YOU! I've enjoyed learning about the set up of Crystal Kirch's classroom and Delia Bush's classroom when I was beginning my flipped journey but I also had to adapt it to work for me. Here's information about Todd Nesloney flipped classroom as well.

In the next post you can learn about four different flipped class platforms that I have researched.

Thanks for reading!
Arin
(@ArinKress)



No comments:

Post a Comment